Are you interested in contributing to the Mitchell Institute’s goal of being “more than a scholarship” to current and future Scholars? Apply to join the Alumni Council in 2024!
About the Alumni Council
Since 2005, the Mitchell Institute Alumni Council (MIAC) has provided professional development and networking opportunities to current Scholars and Alumni. Each year, the Alumni Council organizes MILE II, a leadership and career development event, which brings together Scholars and Alumni from around the country. The Alumni Council is also responsible for encouraging regional Scholar groups on various college campuses, as well as reconnecting with and providing opportunities for Alumni to stay involved with the Mitchell Institute.
Members do not need to live in Maine to join the Council! In fact, MIAC can be a great way to stay connected to Maine, all while enjoying the renewed company of the Mitchell Institute family. Current MIAC members can be found volunteering with the Council from the East Coast to the West Coast.
To learn more about the current members of MIAC, please visit our Alumni Council page.
Members of the Alumni Council serve on one of three committees: Alumni Engagement, Membership, or MILE II.
Council members are asked to commit between five and ten hours each month. Exact time commitment varies based on committee and can fluctuate during the year. Required commitments include:
- Two one-hour conference calls each month via Zoom (one full Council call and one committee call)
- Weekend planning retreat, usually held in June in Southern Maine (accommodations provided)
- Outreach to Alumni using text/email templates for annual Alumnathon (Alumni giving campaign)
- A financial contribution to the Mitchell Institute (whatever amount is meaningful to you)
- Additional monthly calls or tasks based on committee assignment:
- Alumni Engagement: Outreach for Alumnathon, planning and attending Alumni events/Graduation Celebration
- Membership: Monthly calls with Campus Ambassadors, interviewing potential MIAC members
- MILE II: Planning agenda for and attending MILE II, outreach to presenters and employers
Additional events where MIAC participation is appreciated include:
- MILE II in Portland (attendance and assistance is strongly encouraged)
- Welcome Brunch in Orono
- Gala in Portland
- Campus/regional receptions for Scholars and/or Alumni
- Graduation Celebration
Members are eligible to serve up to three 2-year terms, per Council approval.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Alumni Council, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 5th, 2024. The cover letter should describe your interest in serving on the Alumni Council, and the skills and experiences you can offer to further the mission of the Mitchell Institute. Please also include your high school and graduation year. Applicants who have yet to complete their undergraduate degree should be on track to graduate in Spring 2024. Responsibilities for being on the Council will commence during Summer 2024.
Please contact the Alumni Council at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, and a representative from the Membership Committee will respond. Thank you for your interest in supporting the Mitchell Institute!